Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The David Sedaris Story

The David Sedaris story is about A group of kids who have a mother who is struggling with an alcohol addicton. She is trying to cover it up as shown in the story by the quote "Drinking didn't count if you followed a glass of wine with a cup of coffee," This shows that even if the mom is to drunk to defend herself that her kids will. In the story she neglects her kids and at one point in the story she is so drunk that she locks her kids out of the house in the blistering cold. The kids even knocked and she still didn't let them in. The story states "We knocked on the plane, and without looking in our direction, she refilled her goblet and left the room." this shows that she didn't even know the kids were knocking or she was so drunk she couldn't here it. This made me lose all respect for this mother.

As for the writing style I didn't really know what to think. I thought when I was reading it that it jumped around a lot and that the author rambled a lot. At the same time I think that the theme of snow is an excellent way to connect what was a few little stories into one big one. Personally I liked the story because I can relate to it. My father is an alcoholic that lives in Florida off my grandma's retirement so I know how it is to have an alcoholic around. It's almost as if they are two people in one body because, when they are sober they are perfectly fine but, when they are drunk they show no responsability what so ever. All in all I thought it was a good storie with no real value.

No comments: